Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rant!

I have been slacking off on the blogging lately.  I guess I haven't really had a whole lot to say.  Ok, ok it's really because my laptop met with some Vanilla Coke and the soda won.  Laptop's off to Geek Squad for about a month getting new keys and such, and I am now relegated to hubby's computer.  In the office.  Which is horribly cluttered and claustrophobic.
Anyway, that's pretty much the excitement in my life these days.  Till today. Today was just one of "those days" when nothing seems to go right, and every little thorn in your side is felt bigger and bigger.  I know that I have a lot to be grateful for in my life, but hey, a girl gets irritated every now and then!

Here's the thing.  I have never touched a drug in my life.  (Unless you count the Vicodin I had after my wisdom teeth were dug out of my jaw.  I don't.)  I try my very hardest not to be a judgemental person.  Really, I do.  But I can't help but notice that most of the time, the people you run across that are into "recreation" in a substance form are, well, lowlifes.  Don't get me wrong, I have met many an amiable and charitable stoner that would never harm a fly.  But for the most part something seems to be seriously lacking in the responsibility part of the brain.
Case in point: when I lived in Washington State, I had a rather large group of friends.  Say maybe twenty of us all together including me.  Almost all of them dropped out of school-most not even trying to get their GED.  Ninety-nine percent of them are either off in the meth world somewhere, or have been a part of that at some point.  At least two-thirds do not have a driver's license because it got taken away for one reason or another.  Most have no jobs, and a lot of them either live at home or bounce from place to shady place as they get served with eviction notices.  The ones that have kids are generally on welfare, living in some dive somewhere that's paid for by the state.  One friend even tragically lost his life 10 years ago in a car accident that would not have happened had the occupants not been drunk and high. 
Good grief, how did I ever make it out of there sober?  I guess I have more willpower than I thought.  But these things are what irritate the living daylights out of me.  Here we are, hard working people who are responsible.  We do what we can for our kids, pay our taxes, and help others as often as we can.  So why on earth do these (able-bodied) people slip through the cracks, amassing criminal records, drug addictions and time on their couch waiting for the checks from the state to roll in, all while making no efforts whatsoever on bettering their life?  While we can't even get a boost to help us through the worst of times?  Seems a little counter-productive to me.  But hey, if I ruled the world things would be a lot different.
For starters, there would be a law in place requiring drug tests for people on welfare, and not rewarding people living lazily. 
Then again, if I ruled the world, there'd probably be a lot of free chocolate going around...

No comments:

Post a Comment