Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Are you someone's "yes"?

Have you ever stood by your child's bedside, watching their chest rise and fall, knowing that without the tube down her throat, it wouldn't be moving at all?
I have.
Have you listened to the beep, beep, beep of a heart monitor, fists clenched tight and on the edge of your seat, hoping it doesn't alarm again?
I have.
Or watched your child's blood being spun through an oxygenator hooked up to a network of tubes and a machine that's bigger than your own body, spinning it back to their body because their organs are unable to do it for themselves?
I have.
Have you ever jumped up every time the phone rings or a doctor walks into the room, hoping that this time, it's the news you've been waiting for?  That an organ has finally become available to save your child's life?
I have.
Or spoken with a neurologist about the brain damage that the bouts of CPR performed on your baby's tiny body have caused?
Yep, done that too.
Twice.

And I am not the only one.
All over the world, people are waiting for an organ transplant to save their life.  It could be you.  It could be your siblings, your spouse, your best friend, or, like me, your children.  That's no typo there.  I meant to say children.  As in plural.  As in both of my daughters.
I have wrestled with the grief that praying for a heart for my daughter brings.  The thought that I am in some way hoping for someone's loved one to die.  I felt that way for a very long time, until a loving and wise cardiologist pointed out something very true to me.  He took me aside and said "You have to stop kicking yourself.  This is not your fault.  You are NOT wishing for someone to die.  You are simply hoping that they will make a brave and unselfish decision in their own time of grief and desperation."  Luckily, a family in South Carolina said "Yes" to organ donation, and saved my Madi's life.  A family in Texas said "Yes" to saving Sydney. 

Are YOU an organ donor? 
You can't take your organs to Heaven.  (Or wherever you feel you may be going.)
You CAN live on.
You CAN be someone's "Yes".

BE someone's YES.  Be a donor.

Click here to register to save lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment