Sunday, January 27, 2013

Don't be judgin' me

It's getting harder and harder to keep my mouth shut.  Not that I generally have a problem expressing my opinions but I suspect what I am about to say will cause some uproars with people.  It's cool.  I am ready for it.  At least I think I am.  So here goes:
I am pro-choice, and pro-birth control.  Yep.  True story.
However, I am NOT a "baby killer" or a "murderer", and I am rather tired of being labeled as such.
Now let me make this clear.  I do not think that abortions should be a form of birth control.  I do, however, believe that if a woman is raped and gets pregnant, she should have the option of an abortion.  That's my prerogative to believe it, and no amount of comments from others will change that.  Rape is a crime, and there's no reason that someone should be forced to carry a baby that is the result of that.
Birth control?  I take mine every day.  I am involved with a lot of support groups online that center around having special needs kids, kids with heart issues, and of course ones that are for transplant families.  I can't tell you how many times I have been asked "Are you having another child?"  I would have loved to have had another baby.  However, with my two children both needing heart transplants, there's obviously some pretty dominant nasty stuff in my husband's and my combined gene pool.  Time and time again, I hear "Well you shouldn't take birth control, you should let God decide.  Because God will take care of your children no matter what."  That statement makes me so mad I could scream.  I believe that having another child would be irresponsible.  I also believe that God is okay with birth control-why would He want anyone to purposefully bring a child into this world that could spend their life suffering?  And yes, God does provide.  He doesn't pay my bills though.  He doesn't make it so that my kids wouldn't have to go through what they did.  I learned many valuable lessons along the way, true.  I continue to learn due to what has happened.  That doesn't mean that it's easy.  It is not what anyone would want for their children, that's for sure.  And while we are on this topic, I may as well mention the phrase "God doesn't give you anything you can't handle."  AHHHHH!  I think this may be the saying that I hate above all else.  Really?  So my friend who lost her son.. she should "just handle" it, because God says so?  Nope, nope, nope.  PLEASE, people, think about what you are saying when this phrase comes to your mind.  It's so stupid, really.  If it were true, then some of the people in the world are "able" to "handle" loss, therefore they go through it?  No, I think the more appropriate expression may be "God helps us handle what we are given."
So back to the whole abortion/birth control topic: stop calling people baby killers.  It's disgusting.  I am not a baby killer, nor would I ever want to kill a baby.. or anyone.  I just believe that it's not the government's place to tell me what to do with my body.  That's a right I alone hold, and no one will be telling me any differently.
You're pro-life?  Cool.  I respect that completely. Don't believe in birth control?  Fine by me.  Not my body, not my business.  Just don't use your opinions as a platform to judge or belittle others.   Remember, there is only one judge.  And it's not you.  Or me.